Earlier this week I was sitting in my living room and this fly was buzzing around my face. It was so annoying! How was it that one measly fly could be so annoying? Then it got me thinking. If one fly could make a difference then can’t one person make a difference??
I was doing some research and I found this list on Snopes.com so all credit goes to them!
Instances where one vote made a difference:
- In 1645,one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.
- In 1649, one vote caused Charles I of England to be executed,
- In 1776, one vote gave America the English language instead of German.
- In 1845, one vote brought Texas to the Union.
- In 1875, one vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.
- In 1923, one vote gave Adolf Hitler the leader of the Nazi Party.
- In 1941, one vote saved Selective Service – just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked.
There you have it! Multiple examples where one vote made a difference. But we can stand up in multiple ways! Including voting.
I think that we all know that one person can make a difference, but we don’t believe that person could be us. Don’t you think that Martin Luther King, Jr. was scared when he stood up for African-American Civil Rights? I bet he was scared out of his wits! But he “had a dream” for America and he stood with it! What about the Founding Fathers? They stood up to the British knowing that at anytime they could be executed for treason. Why did they stand? Because they believed in freedom, and they believed in the potential of this Country! At one point these people might have thought they were just “average”, but that didn’t stop them from believing in themselves.
I was reading in Alma(a book in the Book of Mormon) and in Alma chapter 9 Alma the younger is preaching the Gospel of Christ and people are shutting him down. In verse 6 it states:
After the people said this Alma went on to bare his testimony and preach the gospel. Why would he do that? Because he knew that God knows the power and authority of every man(even just one man)! He knew that God could see his true potential. The same applies to us. Next time you are doing something and you don’t feel like you can measure up think again. When we are doing the right God is on our side! He gives us the power to stand!